Combined Level 1 & 2 course
Dates: Tuesday 13th & Wednesday 14th February 2017 (February half-term holiday)
Ages Year 6 and above
Time: 9.30am - 4.00pm
What is Bikeability?
Bikeability is today's cycle training programme. It's about gaining vital practical skills and understanding how to cycle safely on the roads.
Each person who completes a course will gain confidence and skills for all kinds of cycling.
Riders will learn to control and master their bikes in a space away from traffic, such as our Tennis Courts. Learners will be trained in a group of 3 - 12.
During the level 1 course, you will recap (if done before) or go over the following:
- Prepare yourself and your bike for cycling
- Get on and off your bike without help
- Start off, pedal and stop with control
- Pedal along, use gears and avoid obstacles
- Look all around and behind whilst controlling the bike
- Share space with pedestrians and other cyclists
Learners will now be out on the streets to give them the real cycle experience. They will learn how to deal with traffic on short journeys. Learners will be trained in a group of up to 6 per instructor.
During the level 2 course you will go over the following:
- Prepare for on-road cycling
- Start and finish an on-road journey
- Recognise typical hazards
- Let others know what you are about to do
- Know where to ride on the road
- Pass parked vehicles and side roads